We’ve all had dreams of being an NBA superstar. Even those of us who were never really into basketball have had moments when we see a player seem to break the laws of physics as they fly to the hoop and slam the ball through. Michael Jordan. Shaquille O’Neal. Kobe Bryant. Larry Bird. LeBron James. These men stand as giants in the world of sports (and in Shaq’s case, in the world in general). Who wouldn’t want to be them?
For most of us, it’ll never happen. In my case, a mix of being short and having absolutely no inherent ability to play the game stand in my way. But one place I can live out my Fletch-like dream of being a basketball hero is in NBA 2K.
Well, OK, I can’t be one in the game either, but in that case, it really is just lack of skill, not height. But that shouldn’t stop you!
The 2019 NBA 2K season is about to kick off with a month of qualifiers. Starting at noon Eastern on November 12 and running until November 26, here is what you’ll need to do to join the NBA 2K League…
- To measure commitment and skill, each player will be required to win 100 games in NBA 2K19’s Pro-Am mode or at the Jordan Rec Center, and win at least 50 percent of their games, in order to advance in the process.
- For example:
- If a player competes in 300 games, they must win 150 of their games to achieve a 50% winning percentage in order to qualify.
- If a player wins 100 games, but competes in more than 200, they will not qualify.
- If a player does not complete a game or quits while a game is in-progress, that will count as a loss.
- Each participant must also complete an online application by Nov. 26. The online application will be available on NBA2KLeague.com in November.
- Online applications will include questions on general applicant information, gaming background, basketball IQ, NBA 2K IQ, and an audio submission about why the applicant wants to be drafted into the NBA 2K League.
- For example:
- The NBA 2K League Qualifier is open to anyone around the world who has a copy of NBA 2K19 (PlayStation 4 or Xbox One), an internet connection, and is 18 or older by the time the Qualifier starts.
- Winning more than 100 games will not increase a player’s standing.
- Pro-Am competition is a 5-on-5 format, with all participants using their existing MyPlayer.
- During the Qualifier, an NBA 2K League mode will exist on the main menu of NBA 2K19 for players to enter.
- Players can participate in games in Team Pro-Am or at the Jordan Rec Center in NBA 2K19.
- The 102 players who participated in season one do not need to participate in the Qualifier.
- Following the NBA 2K League Combine in December, the best players will be identified and made eligible for the 2019 NBA 2K League Draft.
- The NBA 2K League also plans to conduct one or more tournaments outside of North America to identify additional international players for the 2019 draft pool.
- For more information on the NBA 2K League, click here.
Basically, for you TL;DR people:
- Be 18 or older
- Fill out the questionnaire on NBALeague.com (it will be up in November)
- Play at least 100 games in Pro-Am on PS4 or Xbox One
- Win at least 50% of your games.
Do you have the skills to pay the bills? Do the kids still say that? I’m getting old, and keeping up on the hip lingo can be hard.
Either way, if you play NBA 2K19 you should give it a shot!
You can follow High Score on…